A quirky blog centering around the simple things that make me smile daily.

Monday, May 1, 2017

...means all play and no work?

In my Intro to Journalism class, we had the opportunity to tour the office of the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Further, we got to sit in on a meeting! At the beginning of the semester, I was using this Journalism class just as a means to fill my schedule, yet I never thought I would be enjoying it this much.

Sitting in a conference room at The Gazette, editors and reporters came in with heavy duty notebooks and coffee. Two of my favorite things! As the meeting started, they discussed how the stories were progressing and when they thought their stories would be done to be published. As they talked, I tried to picture myself working in a place like that. (I was wearing my glasses that day so I especially felt like I blended in) 

My idea of a perfect view! Wouldn't this make a great office?! :)


The web manager was also present in the meeting and he showed how many views each online story got from the day before. I'm not sure if that was a routine check or something, but I found that to be especially cool. 

Although I am not an official staff member of the Mount Mercy Times, I hope to be a staff member possibly my Junior or Senior year, or even next year! I appreciated how the personnel at The Gazette gave us feedback on how we could possibly expand our audience for the Mount Mercy Times, and how we could get people more involved. 

I hear so many people say, "I don't want a desk job", yet, I think I would be perfectly content sitting in one of those offices, attending meetings, and writing as my career.

Although I'm not 100% on what I want to do, touring The Gazette, reminded me that journalism writing is still on the table for me! I have enjoyed my Intro to Journalism class a lot more than what I anticipated. Although I am not on the newspaper staff (yet), I have enjoyed the process, attending events, writing the stories, then finally seeing my stories in print! My newspaper stories are adoring my mini fridge in my dorm room! :)

I was thankful for the opportunity to tour The Gazette and even more thankful for the doors that are opening up to me as a result of Into to Journalism!

Although, writing is considered a job for the many PR reps, newspaper reporters, and many other occupations, I think a job down that path would be more like play, instead of work! 

1 comment:

  1. I tend to agree. I think working in a newspaper office would be a lot of fun, and it would be challenging. I didn't expect to enjoy journalism as much as I have.

    ReplyDelete

About the Blogger...